July 15, 2009

Brain Smart: Saving PSD transparency for Illustrator

Ba-da-ba! I have found an answer to my LONG term question of how to keep the transparency of a Photoshop image when exported to an Illustrator file! Well, technically there are a few different ways to solve this dilemma. Some techies suggest you use the pen tool to trace your object, but this is SO time consuming! I want to be able to use my magic wand tool to erase all the background and save it as a transparent background. And now I know how!

Step-by-Step:

1. Open your image up in Photoshop.

2. Unlock the image by double-clicking on the lock icon next to the image layer.

2. Select the background or any other part of the image you don't want showing in Illustrator and delete (I literally hit the "delete" key for this action).

3. Go to the "Help" menu at the top of Photoshop and select "Export Transparent Image".

4. In the pop-up window, select the first option, "My image is on a transparent background".

5. Choose whether you plan to use the image for printing purposed or online.

6. I want to use my image for online, so I then choose the format I want it saved as. GIF or PNG.

7. Then rename the image (unless you want it to use the auto-save name) and hit "Save"

And Ta-Da! You now have the image saved with a transparent background. Easy-peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment